Thursday, June 10, 2004

A Tale of Suffering... Weep with Me



I'm listening to a really tricky Chinese song at the moment. It's called Ah Liang - Zi Yue (don't ask me which is the singer, and which is the song name, k - stick to easy questions when they concern this language). It's a quasi-hiphop song... complete with the "Hey-Ho"s... the pain.


I don't understand those songs that can't decide what language group they belong to. I mean, I've heard heaps of songs (of which I've been receiving excessive doses lately) that croon on in undecipherable Chinese words all throughout the verses - only to break out in simpl(istic) English during the chorus. I say this because the Chinese verses croon on about phenomenons that to this day, I still fail to comprehend - like how blood gets frozen in the rain, or how your own shadow runs away from your pain (ooh it rhymes). And... amidst all this confounded breaking of nature's laws, a beautifully simple chorus breaks out in English - commonly containing terms like "Baby I'm Sorry", "I Love You" or "I Need You to Come Back" (sorry, I can only remember the lyrics of one measly Chinese song at the moment :P).

Having said that, however, I do appreciate these lingually-confused songs - for they provide me with at least some words I can sing along to (in a comprehensible manner, at least).

There is also, of ocurse, the common "Ohhh-ohhhhhhh" bits scattered througout all the songs, which I could happily wail along with... but then again, those parts are usually presided over by Lemuel's voice (yes, he has gone over to the dark side). So who am I to take over the role of this self-proclaimed Karaoke King? =)

To those friends who may/will be visiting me this year in Melbourne, I warn you now that there is high likelihood of you being brought to karaokes - a trend which developed from infancy to adulthood all in the 2 years I was gone from here (I would have frantically tried to kill it otherwise - trust me, trust me). So do remember to pack those Chinese dictionaries - I only wish I had friends kind enough to give me this warning when it was still not too late...

. o O declared Lid at 3:30:00 AM

template © elementopia 2003 | original clip art © squarseville